If you haven’t yet been to Las Iguanas then you’re seriously missing out, it definitely is one of my favourite restaurants. This recipe was inspired by their dish Albondigas, I took note of some of the ingredients and made it my own. When I am cooking I like to make it up as I go, trying out different combinations.
I love Kofta meat that I learnt to make from my mother so I decided to combine them in a sauce similar to an Albondigas dish and it tastes delicious. It’s easy too as its pretty much the same herbs and spices in the meatballs as the sauce.
- Lamb Mince
- Crushed Garlic
- Chopped tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- Bay Leaves
- Red Onion
- Olives (optional)
- Start by making the meatballs, place all the ingredients in a bowl and combine
- Once everything is incorporated shape into balls, making sure all are even sizes.
- Dice the onion and lightly fry in Olive oil, adding the meatballs and garlic
- Once the meatballs have browned add the tin of chopped tomatoes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (herbs and spices) to taste.
- When cooking with tomato based sauces sometimes I like to add a pinch of sugar to balance flavours as the tomatoes can be too bitter.
- Cook on low and simmer
- To serve I like to fry Italian bread in a little olive oil
You can adapt this dish to however you like, it could be served with rice or add in some aubergine. In the picture I served it with fried flatbread which really complemented the dish. Or alternatively it could be a small starter before your main course or serve as part of a tapas.
Be sure to try it out and make it your own, enjoy!